After introducing the Google Chrome browser to the public, it worked amazingly fast and had low system requirements. Over time, he got new functions, began to support new technologies, and began to weigh significantly more. All this affected the speed of the browser. To make it faster, you need to make the necessary changes in the extensions and make certain settings. This procedure is not complicated. Even a not-too-experienced user will do this. You just need to follow the instructions provided in the article. After that, the browser will start working faster.
Why Google Chrome browser is slow
Before trying to speed up the Google Chrome browser, you need to understand the reasons for the problems. This will help to solve them quickly. The Internet browser may be slow for the following reasons:
Unnecessary extensions. By launching each of them, the browser creates a separate process, which heavily loads RAM. Therefore, the browser starts to work slower.
- There are too many tabs open. It also overloads RAM.
- Viruses. If they are not removed promptly, they can cause big problems.
- Not enough memory. If the PC is old with two gigabytes of RAM, the Chrome browser will not work stably. It requires at least 3 GB of RAM.
All of these problems can be fixed independently.
Let’s look at the main solutions that allow you to speed up the Chrome browser. There are several of them.
You need to configure the launch of the Chrome browser. There are several options for opening it:
- The main page.
- A new tab.
- Previously opened tabs.
Chrome browser will take a long time to load if, for example, the last item is set in the settings. Pages will take a long time to load. To speed up its work, you need to go to the “Settings” and “Launch Chrome” sections. It is necessary to set the launch parameters “Home page”.
If a lot of extensions are activated in Chrome, then it will take a long time to open, and its operation will be slow. It is necessary to review all installed extensions and deactivate the unclaimed ones or delete them. It is done like this:
- You need to open Chrome.
- Click in the upper right corner on the icon in the form of three vertical dots.
- Select the “Additional tools” item.
- Click “Extensions”.
A page with installed programs will appear. You just need to disable or delete them and restart Google Chrome.
The Chrome browser has a fairly simple interface. Many users install various themes and widgets for the design of the browser. This slows it down. You need to go to “Settings” and click “Appearance”, and then “Themes”. You need to install the default theme.
The browser has functions to speed it up. But they are still in beta. Despite this, they can be used. To do this, you need to go to about: flags. The following functionality will be available there:
- Improvement of the graphical process. Pages with graphics will run faster.
- Overriding the software rendering list. When this feature is activated, graphics loading will speed up even on older video cards.
- Processing tasks from the Omnibox. Pages will load in the background if the address bar or search bar is used.
- GPU Accelerated Canvas 2D. 2D graphics will load faster.
Options are constantly being added. Their use helps to speed up the Chrome Internet browser.
Optimization of settings
Initially, the settings of the Google Chrome program include a small set of functions. But many of them activate in large numbers, which slows down the browser. To optimize the settings, you need to go to “Settings” and disable unnecessary functionality.
You also need to deactivate the automatic sending of usage statistics and crash reports to Google, plus disable protection against phishing and malicious software. But the latter should be done if the user knows how to recognize dangerous sites, otherwise, it is possible to infect the PC with viruses.
The Google Chrome browser has many plugins that improve its operation. For example, Java and Flash Player. They take a lot of RAM. To disable the modules, you need to:
- Click on the three dots icon in the upper right corner of the browser.
- Open the settings section.
- Click “Additional”.
- In the “Privacy and Security” column, you need to open the “Site Settings” section.
- Select unnecessary modules and deactivate them.
It is important to know that Java and Flash Player are responsible for playing multimedia content on the site and games. If you disable these modules, many features will be lost.
Starting with parameters
Chrome Internet browser can be opened with previously installed functionality. This will make it load faster. But to do this, you need to add the necessary command yourself. You need to click the PCM (right mouse button) on the browser shortcut on the desktop and select the “Properties” section. Next, click on the “Shortcut” item. Now in the “Object” section, you need to place the mouse cursor at the end and put a space. After that, you can write the following commands:
- -disable-dev-tools – it disables tools that are intended for developers.
- -disable-java – deactivates Java.
- -disable-logging – disables logging.
- -disable-metrics-system – browser statistics are no longer collected.
All these commands allow you to speed up the browser.
Clearing the cache
This action allows you to speed up the work of the browser and computer or another device. To get rid of unnecessary files, you need:
- Launch the browser.
- Click on the three dots at the top in the corner on the right.
- Click on the history.
- Then you need to clean it.
You can delete the history for any period from the browser, for example, for a month, or a day.
Keyboard shortcuts can be used by experienced users. They make it possible to quickly perform the necessary tasks. In this case, the browser speeds up. Here is an example of the most common combinations:
- Ctrl+H – opens a window where the history of visits is visible.
- Ctrl+T – used to open a new tab.
- Ctrl+Shift+D – adds any open page to bookmarks.
- Ctrl+F – to perform a search on the page.
There are significantly more hotkey combinations, but the listed ones are enough to start with.
The productivity of the Google Chrome Internet browser is constantly being improved by developers. The use of such pre-builds is available in the browser:
Each version of the browser has its characteristics. But you can resort to this method of speeding it up only if all the above did not help. How to speed up the Google Chrome browser figured out. There’s nothing complicated about it.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?